Watch: IRON MAIDEN performs 'Alexander The Great' live for first time at 'The Future Past Tour' kickoff
British heavy metal legends IRON MAIDEN kicked off their “The Future Past Tour” yesterday (Sunday, May 28) in Ljubljana, Slovenia.“The Future Past Tour” features previously unperformed songs from the band’s most recent studio album, “Senjutsu”, along with a focus on 1986’s “Somewhere In Time” LP, plus other classic cuts. IRON MAIDEN‘s 15-song set at the 12,000-capacity Arena Stožice included the live debuts of “Days Of Future Past”, “The Time Machine”, “Death Of The Celts” and “Hell On Earth” from “Senjutsu”, along with “Alexander The Great” from “Somewhere In Time”.
Watch the live debut of “Alexander The Great” below.
The setlist was as follows:
01. Caught Somewhere In Time(first live performance since 1987)
02. Stranger In A Strange Land (first live performance since 1999)
03. The Writing On The Wall
04. Days Of Future Past (live debut)
05. The Time Machine (live debut)
06. The Prisoner (first live performance since 2014)
07. Death Of The Celts (live debut)
08. Can I Play With Madness (first live performance since 2014)
09. Heaven Can Wait (first live performance since 2008)
10. Alexander The Great (live debut)
11. Fear Of The Dark
12. Iron Maiden
13. Hell On Earth(live debut)
14. The Trooper
15. Wasted Years
Asked in a radio interview a number of years ago why IRON MAIDEN had never played “Alexander The Great” live, singer Bruce Dickinson answered, “Because Adrian (Smith, guitar) can’t remember the guitar solo.” While Dickinson may have been joking, he did go on to say that, when the song was originally written, they put the solo through a load of then-very-advanced music computer wizardry, and it just couldn’t figure out the time signature.
IRON MAIDEN‘s recently announced “The Future Past Tour” through Europe will feature previously unperformed songs from the band’s most recent studio album, “Senjutsu”, along with a focus on 1986’s iconic “Somewhere In Time” record, plus other classic cuts.
“Senjutsu” came out in September 2021 on Warner records. It marked MAIDEN‘s second consecutive double album behind 2015’s “The Book Of Souls” which is the longest MAIDEN album, with a running time of 92 minutes.
The full track listing is:
01. Senjutsu (8:20) (Smith/Harris)
02. Stratego (4:59) (Gers/Harris)
03. The Writing On The Wall (6:13) (Smith/Dickinson)
04. Lost In A Lost World (9:31) (Harris)
05. Days Of Future Past (4:03) (Smith/Dickinson)
06. The Time Machine (7:09) (Gers/Harris)
07. Darkest Hour (7:20) (Smith/Dickinson)
08. Death Of The Celts (10:20) (Harris)
09. The Parchment (12:39) (Harris)
10. Hell On Earth (11:19) (Harris)
“Senjutsu” was released on the following formats and available to order/save at www.ironmaiden.com:
* Standard 2CD Digipak
* Deluxe 2CD Book Format
* Deluxe heavyweight 180G Triple Black Vinyl
* Special Edition Triple Silver And Black Marble Vinyl (Details to follow)
* Special Edition Triple Red and Black Marble Vinyl (Details to follow)
* Super Deluxe Boxset featuring CD, Blu Ray and Exclusive Memorabilia
* Digital album [streaming and download]
IRON MAIDEN hadn’t released any fresh music since 2015’s “The Book Of Souls” LP, which was recorded in late 2014 in Paris, France with Shirley.
“The Book Of Souls” was the longest MAIDEN album, clocking in at 92 minutes, with lyrics heavily based in the themes of death, reincarnation, the soul and mortality.