SABATON announces new EP trilogy 'Echoes Of The Great War'
SABATON have made an exciting announcement: with their fascination for the stories of World War I and two dedicated studio albums filled to the brim with stories from this conflict, the band from Falun has decided to dive even deeper into this topic with its newest release, the EP trilogy titled “Echoes Of The Great War”. This new EP trilogy features new songs specifically about World War I, coupled with topically related catalog music.
With this WWI collection, the band aims to present this music in a different way, enabling listeners to familiarize themselves with these incredible war stories while simultaneously quenching the thirst for metal music.
Commenting on the new project, bassist Pär Sundström states: “This trilogy complements our two studio albums ‘The Great War’ and ‘The War To End All Wars’. We were definitely not ready to close our World War I chapter. We wanted to continue the journey and let it echo a little longer in the hearts and minds of our fans.”
The first in the series, “Weapons Of The Modern Age”, is out now. In times of conflict, science is very much linked to the war system. The First World War witnessed some of the biggest leaps in scientific evolution, weaponizing land, sea and skies in ways never witnessed before. This EP sheds light on the powerful and devastating tactics used to fight the war, and kicking off this release is SABATON‘s new track “Father”.
Watch “Father” below.
Sharing his insight on the track, singer Joakim Brodén says: “Our new song ‘Father’ is a dark track about a very controversial person. Fritz Haber, the man who weaponized lethal gas, is responsible for about four billion people being alive today thanks to the Haber-Bosch process that he won a Nobel Prize for. It takes some serious thought to wrap your head around his story. Things aren’t always easy to understand or simply black and white, but rather all shades of grey. ‘Father’ really forces you to think a bit more than the average song you hear on the radio.”
The songs on the second EP in the collection, “Heroes Of The Great War”, are a nod to some of the Great War’s fearless heroes who left a legacy worthy of a thousand songs. Men and women pushed themselves to their physical and psychological limits, accomplishing almost superhuman things. In this EP, SABATON pays tribute to heroes whose unique stories resonated with the band, and whose narratives are truly inspiring.
The third EP in the series, “Stories From The Western Front”, features songs about some of the most gripping tales from one of World War 1’s main theatres of war. These stories, some of which are unimaginable in this day and age, depict the chaos, danger, and instability soldiers faced daily, fighting in the name of their countries.
For the sake of atmospheric continuity and staying true to the sound of both “The Great War” and “The War To End All Wars” albums, SABATON has continued to work with Black Lounge Studios — more notably Jonas Kjellgren, the band’s longtime producer and recording engineer.
The three new EP releases will be available on all major digital music services. SABATON will also release an exclusive, limited-edition digipak with every EP.
A few weeks ago, SABATON announced its first full-length movie “The War To End All Wars” that the band has been working on for two years together with Yarnhub animation studios. “The War To End All Wars” is a cohesive, thought-provoking, and emotionally charged piece with a heavy focus on storytelling. It features members of the band, both in real life and animated, and a lot of research and effort has been put into it to ensure it depicts history in the most accurate way possible — this is something that the band is very passionate about.
SABATON had a dream of creating something entertaining but with great educational value, and that dream has become a reality after two years of hard work.
Written and recorded during the COVID-19 global pandemic, the concept album of 11 brand-new songs once again dives deep into the atrocities, miracles, and events tied to the early 20th century’s World War I. The tenth album of the Falun-based five-piece will be available in an impressive variety of exclusive formats, including CD, vinyl, and cassette, with most available in limited editions.
Pre-orders are available AT THIS LOCATION.
“The War To End All Wars” will be available in the following formats:
– Jewelcase CD
– Limited Gold CD [Supporter Edition – various versions with translated booklets] *SPECIAL OFFER EXPIRED* / *SOLD OUT*
– History Edition [Digibook]
– Box Set [Mailorder exclusive, 2LPs, Earbook, 5 metallic DIN A5 postcards with embossing, 1 propaganda poster]
– Earbook [ltd. to 8000 copies]
– Black Vinyl
– Copper Vinyl [Nuclear Blast Mailorder exclusive, ltd. to 500 copies] *SOLD OUT*
– Fluorescent Orange Vinyl [ltd. to 500 copies] *SOLD OUT*
– Leaf Green Vinyl [Sweden exclusive, ltd. to 300 copies]
– Fluorescent Yellow Vinyl [Ginza exclusive, ltd. to 300 copies]
– Dusk Vinyl [Levykauppa exclusive, ltd. to 300 copies]
– Soft Grey Vinyl [Nordics exclusive, ltd. 1000 copies]
– Lavender Vinyl [FNAC exclusive, ltd. to 300 copies]
– Rosewood Vinyl [Mystic exclusive, ltd. to 300 copies]
– Fluorescent Green Vinyl [UK exclusive, ltd. to 300 copies]
– Pacific Blue Vinyl [US exclusive, ltd. to 1500 copies]
– Polar White Vinyl [NB US exclusive, ltd. to 300 copies] *SOLD OUT*
– Dewdrop Vinyl [EMP exclusive, ltd. to 500 copies]
– Green cassette [Nuclear Blast EU exclusive, limited to 100 copies] *SOLD OUT*
– Grey cassette [Nuclear Blast EU exclusive, ltd. to 100 copies] *SOLD OUT*
– Red cassette [EMP exclusive, ltd. to 300 copies]
– Black cassette [NB US exclusive, ltd. to 200 copies]
– Crystal Clear cassette [US exclusive, ltd. to 250 copies]
– White cassette [Mystic exclusive, ltd. to 100 copies]