VOLBEAT releases video for 'Shotgun Blues'
Danish/American rock and rollers VOLBEAT have released a music video for the song “Shotgun Blues”. The clip, which was directed by Adam Rothlein and produced by Ghost Atomic Pictures, is out now.
Watch “Shotgun Blues” below.
“Shotgun Blues” is an anthemic track in which frontman Michael Poulsen explores the ghostly events he recently experienced upon moving into a new home.
“Every time you move into a house, you bring dead people with you,” he explains. “Weird stuff happens when I move into a new house… it’s very otherworldly.”
Watch Volbeat’s tribute to Entombed singer LG Petrov below in “Becoming”.
“Shotgun Blues” and “Becoming” are taken from VOLBEAT’s eighth studio album, “Servant Of The Mind”, which will arrive on December 3 via Republic Records. The effort will be available in standard CD, deluxe 2LP vinyl (in various limited-edition variants) and a deluxe digital edition.
For “Servant Of The Mind”, the band, which consists of Poulsen (guitars/vocals), Jon Larsen (drums), Rob Caggiano (guitars) and Kaspar Boye Larsen (bass) took their signature heavy metal, psychobilly and punk ‘n’ roll sound up a notch while showcasing Poulsen’s keen ability for songwriting and storytelling.
“I wrote the whole album in three months,” recalls Poulsen, “I was in a good place and mood while at home, and had a captive audience of myself… There are a lot of VOLBEAT signatures in it. If you go back to the first record and compare it to where we are now, you can hear how the band has developed its style, while keeping the signature sound.”
The album also includes the “double barrel” of summer songs the band released this past June: “Wait A Minute My Girl” and “Dagen Før” (featuring Stine Bramsen), the former of which became the band’s ninth number one single on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart.
Other songs on the album weave intricate and fascinating tales. “The Sacred Stones” tells the story of “an earthly being who has committed himself to the dark side. He is on a mission, speaking to darker forces and fallen angels.” Meanwhile, “The Devil Rages On” looks at the idea of the devil taking human form. Album opener “Temple Of Ekur” returns to the ancient themes explored in past songs such as “The Gates Of Babylon”, while the epic album closer “Lasse’s Birgita” explores the story of the first witch burnings to occur in Sweden in 1471.
“Servant Of The Mind” standard edition track listing:
01. Temple Of Ekur
02. Wait A Minute My Girl
03. The Sacred Stones
04. Shotgun Blues
05. The Devil Rages On
06. Say No More
07. Heaven’s Descent
08. Dagen Før (feat. Stine Bramsen)
09. The Passenger
10. Step Into Light
13. Lasse’s Birgitta
Deluxe 2 CD/2 LP and digital deluxe bonus tracks:
14. Return To None (WOLFBRIGADE cover)
15. Domino (THE CRAMPS/ROY ORBISON cover)
16. Shotgun Blues (feat. Dave Matrise from JUNGLE ROT)
17. Dagen Før (Michael Vox Version)
Vinyl variants (North America)
* Standard 180g black vinyl 2LP
* Translucent Rust 2 LP – Volbeat.dk exclusive, limited to 550
* Transparent Yellow 2 LP – Revolver magazine exclusive, limited to 400
* Mystery Color LP2 – indie retail exclusive, limited to 100
Vinyl variants (Europe)
* Standard 180g black vinyl 2 LP
* Crystal Clear 2 LP, volbeat.dk exclusive, limited to 2,000
* Glow In The Dark 2 LP, EMP exclusive, limited to 2,000
* Orange and Blue 2 LP, UMG exclusive, limited to 3,100
* Danish Red and White 2 LP – only available in Denmark, limited to 2,000